This is my site where I will be sharing my thoughts, feelings and happenings. In the words of Austin Powers, "It's my happening, baby, and it freaks me out...yeah!" Enjoy!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Tennis Lessons

Four of us women from work decided to take tennis lessons together. Our first lesson was yesterday and it was really fun. We went to a nearby health club (recommended by a guy at work) and had a one hour group lesson with an Australian guy (we split the cost of his hourly fee). I LOVED his accent! He kept saying, "No worries, mate!" whenever we hit the ball out of the court or missed it altogether. He was really positive, energetic and encouraging.

He taught us how to grip the racket, how to hit forehand shots, how to hit backhand shots and how to do the half serve. We practiced forehand and backhand shots with movement across the court as well.

I think the tennis ball hopper (for collecting the tennis balls off the ground without having to bend over) is awesome! I don't remember ever seeing one before (since I don't play tennis). We used the steel basket type (see picture below) and after you've collected quite a few balls the basket began to get a bit heavy, which then became a good arm workout. You simply drop the basket on the ball you wish to pick up and it easily slides in between the wires and then "magically" stays in the basket once you pick it up...no matter how many balls are already in there. So handy!




I am really looking forward to the lesson next week! I had lessons in 7th grade, I believe, but that was about 15 years ago so I'm really just a beginner. It will be fun once we all learn enough so we can play each other (as singles and doubles!). One more workout to add to my options for exercising--yeah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home