This is my site where I will be sharing my thoughts, feelings and happenings. In the words of Austin Powers, "It's my happening, baby, and it freaks me out...yeah!" Enjoy!

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Sweet & Sour Meatball RECIPE

This is one of my favorite meals!

Waikiki Meatballs

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
2/3 c. cracker crumbs (16 saltines)
1/3 c. minced onion
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 c. milk
1 Tbsp shortening
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 c. brown sugar (packed)
1 can (13.5 oz) pineapple tidbits or chunks, drained (reserve syrup)
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. vinegar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/3 c. chopped green pepper

Mix thoroughly beef, crumbs, onion, egg, salt, ginger and milk. Shape mixture into balls. Melt shortening in large skillet; brown and cook meatballs. Remove meatballs and keep warm. Pour fat from skillet.

Mix cornstarch and sugar. Stir in reserved pineapple syrup, water, vinegar and soy sauce until smooth. Pour into skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils (about 10-15 minutes). Boil and stir 1 minute.

Add meatballs, pineapple and green pepper; heat through. Serve over rice.

Serves 4-6

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AM A NOVICE WHEN IT COMES TO COOKING. WHAT TYPE OF VINEGAR DO I USE IN THIS RECIPE, WHITE OR CIDER. HOW DO I KNOW WHICH TYPE OF VINEGAR TO USE IN ANY RECIPE?
THANKS FOR ANY COOKING TIPS .

7/26/2007 12:27 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

You use white vinegar in this recipe. I think anytime a recipe just lists "vinegar" it means regular white vinegar. Recipes specify cider vinegar or rice vinegar when they mean those varieties. Thanks for visiting!

7/27/2007 1:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home