This is my site where I will be sharing my thoughts, feelings and happenings. In the words of Austin Powers, "It's my happening, baby, and it freaks me out...yeah!" Enjoy!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I love my Discover Card!

I just have to say that my Discover credit card is the best! I've gotten so much free stuff from using it. And since I always pay off the balance every month, I'm not paying any interest or fees.

Here's an amazing fact: Craig and I have not had to pay for a single movie rental during the entire 5+ years of our marriage thanks to our Discover Card rewards. We rent several movies a month on average...and sometimes even more if we are catching up on a TV show like Alias or The Office. So how cool is that?!

With my Discover card I can choose to get cash back, a credit on my statement or rewards such as movie rentals, movie tickets or gift cards to restaurants or stores. Some Rewards Partners even let you double the amount of your reward (accrue $20 in cashback savings but get a $40 gift card!). Plus, for every 3 month period Discover offers 5% cashback on a defined spending category, such as gas, groceries, entertainment, etc. So, if the category is entertainment, during those 3 months every time you rent a movie, go to the theater, go out to eat, go bowling, etc you get a 5% cashback reward on your account (instead of the normal 1% or 2%).

The thing that prompted this post is that I just got a card in the mail from Discover that says for the next 2 months every time I spend $200 dollars at the mall I get a $20 gift card free. I already spent $200 on maternity clothes my birthday weekend so I already get a $20 gift card. I didn't even see that coming! And you know I'll get at least another one because the Christmas season is starting! Wahoooooo!

I know they do all these extra cashback specials to get you to spend more money, but it's still nice and fun. You just need self-control so you don't overspend. It IS possible to work the system! My Personal Financial Planning teacher at ORU warned us about credit cards (their tricks, the fine print, the dangers of overspending, etc) and told us that credit cards don't have to be bad if you are smart/disciplined with them and understand how they really work. He said in this modern day you pretty much have to have a credit card (to rent a car, make hotel reservations, build good credit, etc) so he encouraged us to get a Discover Card or one with cashback rewards. So, I did and I'm soooooo glad!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home